Pension transfer specialist

VerusVerus Member

Hi, just looking for a bit of clarity regarding the PTS qualification. Am I correct in saying that a pension transfer is moving from a DB to a DC scheme? And a pension switch is moving from a DC to DC scheme? Therefore, if you are advising on pension switching you do not need to be a PTS?


  • JonaJona Member

    @Verus broadly yes - although DC schemes may have "safeguarded benefits" (guaranteed annuity rates etc) which also would require PTS input.

  • VerusVerus Member

    Thanks Jona, I was reading the PFS good practice guide and wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

  • richallumrichallum Administrator

    Pedant alert! GARS are safeguarded benefits but you do not need to be a PTS to advise on them, just the 'pension transfer light' permission from FCA.

    Paraplanner. F1, Apple, Nutella, ice cream. No trite motivational quotes. Turning a bit northern. Republican.

Sign In or Register to comment.