Overcontributing to pension

Say a client has £15k relevant earnings in 16/17 and made a personal pension contribution inadvertently of say £20k gross (without advice), they've obviously received more tax relief at source than they should have.  I know HMRC say it's the member's responsibility to check they've not received more tax relief than they are entitled to and HMRC could ask for it back. I don't think the client completes a tax return so HMRC wont know about it unless the client owns up (which they want to do by the way).

Does anyone know how this would work in practice?  Contact the provider maybe or should they complete a self assessment tax return for 16/17?
Outsourced paraplanner for The Paraplanners.  President of the Scottish Petanque Association


Sign In or Register to comment.